a sunny streak
Yesterday was perfectly wonderful. Wonderful enough to make up for a long work week(end), a dead car battery, receiving a speeding ticket in the mail (26 in a 20, seriously??), a cold sore, and general sleep depriving mayhem at home. After a sunny weekend in the 70s the weather held out just one more day so we could get our portraits done in Seattle. It was phenomenal.
We made a family day out of it and bussed in lieu of worrying about parking. On our way to meet the photographer, Bella dropped the water bottle she was holding and before I could even register what happened, we were on the ground. I have some recollection of a strange sensation under my right foot as it landed on the bottle and rolled off, cartoon style. It was a genuine banana peel slip.
I don't even remember the fall, just the start and the finish, which is a bit frightening and disappointing to me as I've tripped before and my first thought is always to protect Bella. Bella was the farthest thing from my mind this time, and life did not slow down as it normally does in those moments. As soon as my butt hit the ground I looked down to see Bella's head almost whack the pavement, and me too late to help. Luckily the way we fell, her head hit my legs instead, so it was only scary, not deadly. But where were those instincts when I needed them?
We brushed off, consoled the poor lady who watched it all with a horror-struck face, and carried on to meet the photographer.
Meeting with Traci was wonderful and I'm excited to see our faces through a photographer's eyes. It was amazing to watch her work, study the lighting and surroundings and make decisions on the fly. Since we had full sunshine, I can't wait to see what she came up with. I suck at shooting in the sun.
After the shoot we decided to walk to Pike Place Market but -and I'm no stranger to Seattle- we wound up miles from our destination. We walked to Lake Union instead of, er, the sound. Seattle's not exactly flat so let's just say my feet and calves are screaming today. But, it was such a great day to be out with my family soaking up the sun. I have been shamelessly grumpy lately and it was refreshing to enjoy everyone's company. Dave and I are currently in a place where we scowl at each other out of sheer habit and reflex and it's taking conscious effort to get my sweet self back. How does that even happen? How do I let myself get that far from sympathy? Getting us lost and found again (and forgiven despite a blister-inducing hike) on a beautiful day with no agenda was wonderful therapy. We skipped the market and met a friend for lunch instead and it was well worth it!
(okay, wow, I look tired in that shot...)
And then, because really who can resist cherry blossoms, we stuffed Bella into a most adorable dress (that my dad got for her in China but it's been too cold to wear until now) and headed back to the park for some evening shots. Normally when I upload the shots I wonder why Dave would choose such and such angle (and he hates when I butt in with tips!) and think of how I would have done it differently. I have to say, these tree shots were his idea and I am so proud of what Dave managed to get. Even if not one of Traci's shots comes out (hah!) the day would be worth it for the family time and these photos.
(ps cross your fingers because after I uploaded the photos to blogger my computer crashed and I hope I didn't lose too many from this shoot, my computer has a history of eating my favorite photos.)
(pps I've been doing lots of "photo shoots" with Bella and am very happy with some of the shots and I can't wait to share them here!!)
4 comments:
Love the shots! I'm so glad Bella didn't get hurt in your fall. Love you all! Mom
Aaaaaw, those are beautiful shots! Who says you need a professional photographer?! They make me miss Seattle springtime oh-so-much. They also make me want to join you and Jill and Bella for lunch again, too. ;-)
P.S.: HAPPY EASTER!
P.P.S: I'm very relieved that your fall didn't cause any injuries.
I am absolutely LOVING your blogs, Shawna! "Humor" your photography?? The photographs are beautiful. What a great gift this will be for Bella, some day. Not every child can look back and find such wonderful snapshots of their early life and the life of their parents.
The last shot of you and Bella under the tree is great. *sniffle* Great, now I'm crying. LOL Happy tears, though. So much love!
~Veda
It's probably too late now but have you ever tried tea tree oil on cold sores. I don't get cold sores often but when I do applying tea tree oil right away and every so often seems to help. It worked for my daughter last week too.
Also, that last shot of you and Bella under the tree - so sweet.
Post a Comment