Sunday, September 14, 2008

Unplugged #4: Sand


Another long week and I finally managed to set up our Sand project for this week's Unplug Your Kids at the last moment. On first thought, I wasn't entirely sure how we could adapt sand for a kid who is a little too young for a sand box. But, remembering the classic sand drawing pendulums at the science center, I decided to recreate one at home.


I have to admit that I am certainly not stocked for crafty activity here, but I managed okay with some yarn, paper, and tape. Bella and I went on a hunt in the neighborhood for sand and we found some on a street corner, which I promptly took home and sifted to clear out the bark mulch. The best part was that I could use my kitchen strainer and no one could complain about me taking it outside to play since it's mine and I'm the mom. Bwahahahahah!

So I rolled two pieces of paper into a funnel, threaded some yarn through holes in the top, and hung it from a planter hook on our porch. I centered a table under it, and covered a board with paper (we didn't have any poster board, but we needed the paper to be stiff) so we could see the pattern, but still dump the sand back into the funnel easily between turns.

After finding a good height for the pendulum funnel and making the hole big enough, the games began! Dave started with a pattern that looked a bit like Saturn.


Then Bella got into it and tugged at the yarn.





Then we switched and she stared at the funnel as it whooshed the sand out. She really enjoys watching faucets and things that make noise visible, so I'm sure this was right up her alley.




All in all it was a good project. Easy to do, not too time consuming, and Bella created her first artwork!

13 comments:

Treff Mon Sep 15, 11:27:00 AM PDT  

Great idea and very adaptable for many ages...

reprehriestless warillever Mon Sep 15, 12:33:00 PM PDT  

Great idea. Older kids could get a good physics lesson with it.

Christie Mon Sep 15, 12:50:00 PM PDT  

Very nice! Love this project! One of my favorites this week!

This Girl loves to Talk Mon Sep 15, 02:13:00 PM PDT  

I didnt even know you could make these!! the one at the science centre here is a pen that draws these shapes.. I have never seen one with sand..

you guys are awesome with the activities you do with your little one!! I never did anything like that.. she is a lucky little girl

Unknown Mon Sep 15, 05:08:00 PM PDT  

Great idea! I guess taking you to the science center alot really did help! Bwahhahhahah! love, Mom

Michie Mon Sep 15, 06:27:00 PM PDT  

I'm really impressed with the activities you come up with to do with your little one. This one is really cool - I've never seen something like it before!

Gottfredsen Mon Sep 15, 07:56:00 PM PDT  

Thanks for sharing this. What a great project. I am going to have to share it with my husband because he could have fun turning it into a science lesson for the boys.

Ashley Mon Sep 15, 10:21:00 PM PDT  

I've never seen anything like that before. Very cool; I think my girls would have a lot of fun with that.
Adorable pictures of your baby!

Anonymous,  Tue Sep 16, 07:11:00 AM PDT  

how cool is THAT?!!! my boys would love the kinetic-ness of it. very cool! i look forward to reading more...

peace.

Michelle G Tue Sep 16, 08:18:00 PM PDT  

How awesome are you??? That is so cool!

Anonymous,  Thu Sep 18, 09:23:00 PM PDT  

Wow! That is amazing! Bella will be an artist or an engineer, I am sure!

Anonymous,  Fri Sep 19, 11:16:00 AM PDT  

Wow, what a great idea, I am going to do this with my two, when I get time between moves!!!
love the photos!!
I am going to look at *Unplug Your Kids* now, that sounds interesting.
x

Welcome!

Welcome! Thanks for stopping in. As you can see, I have a passion for photography (and cooking and knitting). My daughters, Bella and Lillia, are my greatest inspiration, so you might find you see a lot of them here, as well as the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Be sure to take a peek around and leave some love in the comments!

Labels

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP