Sunday, August 10, 2008

Good Morning, Sunshine

Mornings with Isabelle are refreshing. At night she goes into a different realm, perhaps wherever she existed just a few months ago before her first breath. It's a long time to be away, and waking up must be like coming home to the aroma of fresh baked cookies. Comfort and happiness, a world full of possibility. Sometimes I'm not fully awake until she is babbling away, but she thrashes in her sleep for several minutes, so I usually have enough time to rub the haze out of my eyes and enjoy her morning routine.

She opens her eyes a little. Closes them and tries again.

Wait, where am I? Oh, that's right, I'm alive again! Oh, isn't this wonderful! Hello, ceiling. Hello, lamp. Pillow! I'm so glad you're with me... and just as tasty as always. And wait, what do we have here? Hands? How exciting. Hello hands, we are going to have so much fun today.

I watch her as she studies her hands. Before they enter her mouth for the requisite finger exploration and tasting, she holds them out in front of her face to examine them. First a fist, up close, then a whole hand spread out before her. She admires them against the ceiling, shifts and looks at them in contrast now to the wall. Front to back, side to side. How pretty. Yes, today we will have adventures together, I think.

She awakens unaware of the rest of the world, but content in herself. It is not until I greet her with a soft good morning that she remembers me. Startled out of her thoughts, her eyes widen with surprise, and then she breaks into her biggest smile. Mommy! I wasn't expecting to see you here. How nice. We're going to have such a great day.


1 comments:

Anonymous,  Fri Jan 09, 12:42:00 AM PST  

Beautiful post, the links between young babies and those closer to the otherworld are so similar - I remembered something like this when my father was close to departing,
sounds terrible to be mentioning this subject on such a beautiful and innocent post, but when a person is stripped down to the bare essentials they are innocent too. I find that it is easier to see the spirit shining through from underneath at times like this.

That is why we adore babies at this age perhaps?
x

Welcome!

Welcome! Thanks for stopping in. As you can see, I have a passion for photography (and cooking and knitting). My daughters, Bella and Lillia, are my greatest inspiration, so you might find you see a lot of them here, as well as the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Be sure to take a peek around and leave some love in the comments!

Labels

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP