Thursday, September 24, 2009

Wear Your Baby

No really, do.

It's International Babywearing Week!

IMG_5820

We would never have survived Bella's infancy without wearing her. She's a wonderful, vibrant, sensitive child and all that adds up to what they call High Needs Baby. (We just call her Bella. Or zero-to-sixty.)

How do parents of colicky and emotional children survive without baby wearing? We wore her more often than not, and let me assure you she also knew when we were pretending to walk (ie just swaying) so we got lots of exercise, too.

In FACT, how do parents manage to survive parenthood without wearing their children. When do they get anything done?

Things you can do while wearing a baby:

131 - feet
Garden

Knit on the go (if you could before...), and the sling makes a great pouch for the yarn ball.

Take photos! (even if you couldn't before...)

Dash through the airport and gather enough sympathy to not miss your flight.

Hike up a mountain while holding your husband's hand.

Run after and/or wear another child.

Cook (hands and feet in, please!).


For a more in depth post on our babywearing philosophies, see this post from this spring.

And in case you thought it was just me, here's proof that it runs in the family:


Disneyland August 83

4 comments:

Unknown Thu Sep 24, 05:10:00 PM PDT  

Oh! What a wonderful connection! Wish I'd had your wrap, though. This was made by Sue Chelton. Thank you Sue! Love, Mom

Julie Alvarez Thu Sep 24, 05:39:00 PM PDT  

Shawna,
have you met Zélia?
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rafasmom/
She has a site (and works of this and as a doula) about babywearing. And she is the most darling and generous lady too. Here's the site:
http://clubedopano.blogspot.com/

amy Thu Sep 24, 06:01:00 PM PDT  

A sling is 2nd on my must-have list for a newborn. (The car seat is first, practically speaking.) I couldn't have managed otherwise. And I'm still wearing my 20-lb girl. I just hope the kids come visit me in the Home when I'm all worn out...

Maria Thu Sep 24, 06:19:00 PM PDT  

I love seeing parents with their babies like that! Here is one of my yiayia with my brother in a sling: http://www.flickr.com/photos/varmazis/3295096997/in/set-72157613692726695/ (set to friends-only but you should be able to see it Shawna). We have tons of my mom wearing me and my brother in the sling but I don't have them scanned :(
I always wonder how much it must hurt your lower back though.

Welcome!

Welcome! Thanks for stopping in. As you can see, I have a passion for photography (and cooking and knitting). My daughters, Bella and Lillia, are my greatest inspiration, so you might find you see a lot of them here, as well as the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Be sure to take a peek around and leave some love in the comments!

Labels

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP