Tuesday, February 17, 2009

bump in the road (part two)

knot

This week at work was marred by strange flashbacks from two years ago. Different situation, same awkward conversations. Here I am. I look the same on the outside as I did yesterday, but inside I'm not the same.

Heading to work knowing that there's no great way to "break the news" to my manager, change my shifts, explain my foul mood. Reigning internal debates over who else to tell, who would be understanding, who would awkwardly shuffle their feet, who wouldn't notice a change in me if I just kept my mouth shut. Both situations characterized by invisible internal turmoil, the flip flop between needing to share and wanting to hide. I'd much rather let the rumor mill work its way around than to have to keep repeating myself and receiving the same reactions.

Oh, I'm so sorry. What now?
(Thank God it's not me.)


Suddenly (again) my life is filled with an undercurrent of uncertainty and helplessness. Unknowingly say the wrong thing and you might find me fighting back tears or the urge to punch someone. If I had to choose losing pregnancy to losing my main source of income, I'd pick my husband's lay off any day. But it still sucks.

~~~~

So many things change when you become a mother. And yet, so many things that you imagine will change actually stay the same. To the heartbreak of many, motherhood graces you with a fresh outlook on life but no sudden ability to alter the course of the universe.

I had visions in my head of what life would be like as a mother. A house, a backyard, pancakes for breakfast, wonderful outdoor adventures, reading books together in bed. As the list grows, however, I realize that it's rather material. Those things sure help you feel like a good mother, but they are not really the meaning of motherhood.

I had imagined that as as a mother I would suddenly be in control, at least of my own life. Debt (because I'm still young and I insist on learning all my lessons the hard way) would be swept away with the graceful appearance of our daughter. Work would never be too hard, days would never be too long, and we would never forget to enjoy each other and take a yearly vacation. And knowing the miracle that is any living child, even sitting up at night with a sick child would never seem overwhelming.

The economy, though I'm loathe to finally confess it, has hit us, has darkened my outlook on so many things and keeps me from feeling like a good accomplished mother. Nowhere in my motherly day dreams did the words unemployment, WIC, or welfare cross my mind. Not for me, not as a mother, no way. Sure, we've always just snuck by paycheck to paycheck and on the good graces of our loving extended family, but we'd always had a steady, stable kind of job. I always felt that we were lucky, but hard working, and somehow better than immune from having to lean on the government.

I suddenly feel humbled and on the brink of tears to realize that this might soon be our road. A new road, not a bad road, not a shameful road, just a different road. I'm certain Bella will never say, Remember those days when I was a baby and Daddy lost his job and you couldn't buy me all those things that I never wanted or needed anyways? I know she has no clue, and her smile refreshes me and carries me through to the next minute. But honestly, what a feeling to want to give her everything but not have the power. All things in time, but I've never been patient.

I think my parents must have made it look too easy, set the bar too high. Of course, no matter how much they may have told me (this very moment they're probably sitting, recalling specific conversations that I tuned out), I'm sure I'd still be learning it the hard way. I ought to be used to it by now.

red vines (depth)

7 comments:

renee @ FIMBY Wed Feb 18, 05:04:00 AM PST  

shawna,

my heart goes out to you - on many levels. I just read your post and plan to return to put together a more coherent response. My short response is this - we've been there and done that. Not exactly been laid off but with very little work when our children were young and we first moved to Maine. I'll share more later. Sending prayers your way - right now.

amy Wed Feb 18, 06:05:00 AM PST  

Oh, Shawna. I'm sorry. I wish I had something more helpful to say. Sending hugs. xo

Unknown Wed Feb 18, 04:15:00 PM PST  

We'll get through this somehow. Love you all, Mom

Hilary Case Wed Feb 18, 05:59:00 PM PST  

Oh, Shawna! I know that this difficult setback will not affect the amazing life that you and Dave, as amazing parents, are providing for Bella... but it certainly doesn't make things any easier. You are also not alone in having a story like this one during this economic crisis... but that doesn't make things any easier either. Please take care, hang in there, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers! =)

Meg Fri Feb 20, 11:37:00 AM PST  

oh shawna, what a difficult thing to be dealing with. Just know that I'm just an email away if you ever need a good rant. xo

Meadowlark Days Fri Feb 20, 05:57:00 PM PST  

Thank you for sharing this with us. I am so sorry. I appreciated your honest thoughts on it, and I also appreciated your beautiful photos. Hang in there.

renee @ FIMBY Mon Feb 23, 06:10:00 AM PST  

I have a couple more things to say:

Firstly, what a gorgeous photo. I seemed to have missed it the first time around.

Oh my... isn't this true "motherhood graces you with a fresh outlook on life but no sudden ability to alter the course of the universe". Wow, poignant words.

Unemployment, WIC and welfare happen to good mothers, GREAT mothers all the time. Not like this is saying much but at one point I was eligible for WIC because of our income and close friends of mine, wonderful mothers, have been receiving WIC for years - and I'm grateful they do.

The reason we pay into social security and such stuff is so that when we need it we can use it. So that when others need it, they can use it. My husband over here on the east coast is paying taxes to help your family through your rough time, that's a good thing. I wish there were a better social network in this country (having come from Canada) that helped people through difficult times.

Another thought on relying on family during difficult times - that's what family is for babe! Imagine Bella as a grown up in a tough spot. Won't it be your heart's desire to help her?

I don't know if any of this helps. Nothing can take away what you are walking through right now. I'm certainly not trying to dispense advice but to say "It's ok to be in need" (very hard I know, we've relied on our church food pantry in earlier years) & you are excellent parents regardless of employment status.

Welcome!

Welcome! Thanks for stopping in. As you can see, I have a passion for photography (and cooking and knitting). My daughters, Bella and Lillia, are my greatest inspiration, so you might find you see a lot of them here, as well as the beautiful Pacific Northwest. Be sure to take a peek around and leave some love in the comments!

Labels

  © Free Blogger Templates Photoblog III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP