the big babywearing post
So here I go on a post about baby wearing.
Why do we baby wear around here?
As a babysitter and nanny, I found strollers confusing and cumbersome. Babywearing is just so simple and useful and I can't imagine getting by without it. But in case you need a list:
It's inexpensive. All you need is a sling or wrap, and often you can make it yourself (see below!)
It's convenient. Bella may be a social superstar, but that means that she has perpetual social needs, even when we're home having quiet time. If she's not at the center of something, she needs to at least have a good view of the action. While wearing her, I can do pretty much everything I do without her, particularly household chores. And photography? Consider every one of my photos partially her credit. Unless they have her IN them, she was on me when I took every photo. I mean EVERY PHOTO.
It's liberating. I don't have to worry about a bag for this or where to put the stroller when shopping. Bella didn't even sit in a shopping cart until she was eleven months old. If she were an insecure kind of baby, it's the best way for a parent to protect a child against unwelcome visitors who pop their heads into strollers and pick kids up without permission.
It's indispensable for EC. If you practice elimination communication, you'll find that babies often won't go pee while they are worn. That means that you'll learn to recognize your baby's cues to go to the bathroom, and you'll be more aware of each other in other aspects of you life as well.
It's healthy. Of course, as the wearer, you need a good carrier that won't stress your back. But for the baby, it's a huge dose of love. All those minutes in contact with someone are minutes not spent crying needlessly or in boredom or neglect. In my opinion, it creates a healthy sense of importance, connection and increases communication.
Until last week, my only experience with babywearing had been the Moby Wrap. I chose it for its versatility, from newborn to toddler in a million different carries. Honestly, it's just a piece of heavy stretchy fabric, branded to give you confidence. I learned how to wear it on you tube, where you can watch 10,000 different ways to wrap your baby up.
So why the switch from Moby to Mei Tai?
The switch was mostly precipiated by the change from front to back carry. In a front carry, I wore the moby all day and just popped Bella in and out. For a back carry, it's easiest to take the whole thing on and off, and it's a bit of origami to get situated. I dreaded doing this over and over at the airport this summer, and knew with a mei tai you just pop the kid in, tie a knot and head off.
On top of that, Bella has to have her hands free, from day one she always has. And, daredevil that she is, she likes to lean ALLLL THE WAAAAY BACK. In front, I just adjust and re-tuck her in, but when she's in back, it's much more difficult. In the mei tai she has full back support and no way to lean out, yet she can still be free to sit up or to sleep.
I made this mei tai using a combination of Beth's Mei Tai and the Man Tai designs, mostly the former. I haven't sewn in a while and I was not up for putting padding in the shoulders (or even photographing the process, sorry!). I do think that I'll make another, however, with some adjustments, because this one isn't exactly the right dimensions. When I wear it as a rucksack carry (no more smushed boobs!), it puts a lot more stress on my back than I'd like, so somehow I'll probably adjust the straps. It's also too long for Bella to have her arms out unless I roll the bottom over several times. It's like that in the photos and it's still higher than I'd like, but I know she'll grow into it.
I still use the Moby here and there because it's so comfy and it washes well. It has definitely saved my life and is the first kind of wrap I'd use again.
3 comments:
I keep meaning to email you to thank you for your mei tei information, so I'll just comment here. ;) And yes, it was very serendipitous for me to walk into a store where I could actually try a mei tei, because let's face it, my girl, who also loves to be worn, isn't going to let me sew anything as involved as a mei tei anytime soon! I wore out my first sling and I do love the sling for babies. It is my #1 must-have baby item. It helped with my firstborn's colic. My second was a preemie and made up for lost time about 10,000 times over. And when you need to take care of an older child and you have a new baby, well, I don't know how anyone accomplishes that without wearing the baby. The sling is my go-to still--I find it much easier to nurse her in a sling than the mei tei, so for naps at home that's where she is. I also keep getting tangled up in the mei tei and I haven't tried the back carry yet, but I desperately needed something to distribute the weight more evenly on my shoulders. They feel MUCH better, although my lower back is still feeling it! But I'm excited to have a way to carry her on my back while we get outside more. The sling, not so good for nature walks. ;)
I'm so impressed you made your own! And worn babies are happy babies. I do use the stroller on occasion--Grace gets a kick out of it when she's in the right mood, plus it's the best way to cart stuff around on a day trip--but I too find them cumbersome.
Unfortunately, I've found that some people STILL invade the baby's (and mine) personal space. Honestly. People. Sigh.
wow, what a thorough and great post on babywearing. Too bad I'm past that stage. I could never get the hang of it and opted for a backpack, like the kind you take your toddlers hiking in (Kelty brand). Nice photos too. So bright and colorful.
I know you mentioned the health aspect but I wanted to add weight bearing activity is very good for building bone mass. Mama's who babwear don't really need to lift weights now do they?
Post a Comment